We all want to have that cozy and comfortable bedroom wherein we can have that relaxing mood that we always look forward to after a long and hectic day. Just moved into a new home or apartment or wanting to update the look of your home? Apart from the living room, kitchen, or dining room, the bedroom is definitely the room that you’ll surely spend more time in your life. It is just right to invest time and effort to make sure that you can achieve that style and comfort that matches your personality.
What if it is just your first time decorating a bedroom? With tons of ideas, design, and styles, you’ll surely feel overwhelmed. Chances are you might pick bedroom furnishings that are not matched with the style you would want to achieve. That is why, before you start buying bedroom furniture, it is very important to be familiar with different styles of bedroom furnishings. if you are aware of these things, it would be easier also for you to select which is the best one that is suitable for your needs.
There are actually two types of furniture styles when it comes to home and office furnishings. These are traditional and modern or contemporary design styles. Each one of these styles does have its unique element and flair that makes them unique and interesting.
Traditional Furniture Styles
Traditional furniture style is the embodiment of harmony, order, and comfort. These furnishing styles are the natural evolution of European decor particularly between the 18th and 19th centuries. The characteristics of traditional furniture are detailed millwork, calm or soothing colors. Queen Anne, Chippendale, and Sheraton style with embellishments such as piping, wingback, sturdy wood. gentle curves, and without sharp angles are some of the characteristics of this style.
Qualities of Traditional Bedroom Furniture
- Symmetry and Uniformity – When it comes to traditional style, symmetry and uniformity is the key. They should have that perfect pair in order to make them look good together. It is common to see a perfect pair of bedroom lamps, end tables, and chairs. Pairing helps in creating a space that is balanced and serene feeling that can be achieved. Just imagine having that perfect and balanced mood in the bedroom.
- Perfect Combination – Sticking to basics is definitely one of the qualities of the traditional bedroom style. This makes it essential by making sure that everything matches perfectly in terms of colors, style, and design. You need to have the same collection in the bedroom wherein you have the right pieces of wood furniture, fabrics, or upholsteries. The rugs, cushions, and lightings should look perfect as well.
- Synchronized Color Pallete – The emphasis of a traditional design is focused more on patterns more than color. The best way to select the perfect color is to base it according to the predominant pattern that your bedroom has. For example, choose the pattern that your fabrics, rugs, or upholstery and use that tone to come up with the right design that you need. Doing this will surely provide your bedroom the right look and tone that makes it more stand out.
- Complex Patterns – Complex patterns is one of the elements of traditional bedroom style from muted stripes, chinoiserie prints, Paisley, toile, damask, and florals patterns, all of these can provide that promising look. Upholstered cushions, and furnishings or Oriental rug or Persian carpet truly made this look possible.
- Metal and Rich Wood Tones – When it comes to traditional interiors, it has rich and deep tones of wood and metal. Usually, metal bedroom accents are made of copper, bronze, or brass with satin and they are generally don’t have a shiny finish.
- Window Covers – Unlike the modern bedroom style wherein the windows are more bare, traditional window covering typically have drapes that are heavy with fabric or wooden valances. They are also available in substantial fabrics in rich tones in order to offset the neutral wall colors or patterns that can match other fabrics within the bedroom.
- Intricate Millwork – One of the major elements of traditional style is the intricate and detailed millwork and finishing touches. This is perhaps the reason why more people prefer traditional design and style that it can provide to any room. Built-in cabinetry, wood paneling, columns, coffered ceilings, tray, crown molding, valances, and cornices are the top elements of this bedroom style.
Styling Your Bedroom with Traditional Design
Now that the elements of a traditional bedroom style have been discussed. Perhaps, you are already aware of what style you need to stick for you to achieve this look. This can help you think or decide further how you would want your bedroom to look like. You just need to stick to the essential elements such as classy accents and shades, starting with an architectural framework, and matching metals.
It is not easy to pick bedroom furniture especially if you want to achieve that traditional design style. Don’t worry, aside from the guide for you to know the difference of varied furniture style, Local Furniture Outlet is here to help you find the exact furnishing you need. Styling your bedroom will never be the same if you have the right knowledge and sources.
Modern Furniture Styles
Even though you can usually find traditional furniture in specialty stores, modern furniture is very different. Over the centuries and decades, the furniture trends and fashions have evolved drastically from classic, ornate to contemporary furnishings style which draws the line between functionality and artistry.
People are using contemporary or modern terms to describe the furniture of today. However, when describing these two different furniture design they are actually distinct design types. Here are the current design types that you can use as your inspiration for your bedroom design style.
- Antique – If you have the interest furnishings that are century-old, then you would want to consider antique furniture. This furniture is generally made of wood with unique or intricate designs. The style and design of this furnishing depend on the year or decade they are designed and crafted.
- American Colonial – This fine furnishing is actually a combination of different traits from Chippendale, Queen Anne, William and Mary, Pennsylvania Dutch, and Jacobean, While others say that colonial furniture is basically a type of traditional furniture, it basically includes a wide array of charms from the British colonial era.
- Traditional – It incorporates the best of Sheraton, Chippendale, and Queen Anne styles. With traditional style, it features tapered legs, straightened lines, and elegant ornamentation. You can never go wrong with the design that these styles can offer to your modern bedroom.
- Vintage – If you love the 50s-70s furniture then vintage bedroom style would be best for you. They are actually younger than the antique ones as their age is between 50-100 years. While others use the term old or vintage interchangeably, there’s no doubt that it offers a design that is nostalgic and artistic at the same time.
- Rustic – One of the most wanted types of modern style that brings coziness and warmth ambiance to any room. This style is usually crafted with timber or other natural materials such as linen, hide, or cotton. To obtain the rustic style, accents are a great option.
- American Design- Solid wood furnishings with distinctive grains with stunning finishes are the qualities that make this style a standout.
Traditional vs. Contemporary
Knowing the difference between these two is very important in order to make sure that you can do the right decision if you are still having the difficulty which design styles you would want for your bedroom. In a nutshell, traditional ones offer romance and elegance whilst modern ones are known for their urban and subtle ambiance. These design styles do have unique characteristics and charm.
To identify its difference, traditional home and bedroom design styles are associated with Victorian, Queen Anne, and William and Mary. This style has elaborate emphasis and carvings and motifs to stain that signature look. While contemporary ones are associated with Bauhaus or post-modern style. It has lines that are softer and deeper upholstery as compared to the traditional ones.
Leave a Reply