Have you ever been forced to immediately respond to a severe dental issue when you were on holiday or a weekend when you had no plans of contacting your dentist? A dental emergency signals you of an immediate action to be taken to enhance your oral health. These emergencies could emanate from a fractured tooth, a bacterial or fungal infection that needs a unique response or treatment. Specialists in emergency dentistry in Yonkers offer their patients surprise action plans to take care of their dental emergencies. Thanks to the various treatment options at Yonkers Dental Arts, the dental experts will help you regain your smile after an unexpected occurrence.
What is emergency dentistry?
Generally, a dental issue requiring urgent attention to help minimize or end bleeding, relieve you from severe pain, or prevent tooth loss falls under emergency dentistry. Though not all dental emergencies are painful and need urgent treatment, it is a recommendation by dentists to immediately contact an emergency dentist when you start experiencing symptoms like
· Severe pain accompanied by bleeding
· Lost tooth
· Loose tooth. It is not common for adults to have unnecessary loose teeth. Even when you are not in pain, it is not a good indication of good oral health.
· Severe mouth infection. A mouth infection can be life-threatening, and treatment should not be procrastinated. The abscess can be accompanied by gum knots or facial swellings.
· Oral bleeding
However, if your dental problem can wait until your dentist’s next appointment, it fails to be an urgent issue. You will likely experience a critical dental worry that will wait for a few days with good oral care. For instance, a cracked or chipped that is not painful or sharp.
How are dental emergencies prevented?
Since emergencies are not anticipated, your chances of preventing dental emergencies are minimal. However, with a few considerations, you could help enhance your oral health and reduce your chances of urgent dental care. These considerations include:
· Avoid using your teeth to cut things.
· Always maintain a clean mouth
· Avoid crushing hard objects with your teeth
· Go for regular dental cleanings
· Wear a mouthguard during sports
Your doctor will also equip you with tips on avoiding dental emergencies during your regular dental cleanings, even when your teeth are strong and have no need for treatment.
How do you care for a tooth that needs emergency dentistry?
Even when you contact your dentist, the chances are high that he will not come immediately or will not get to his office in an instant. Therefore, when professional help is far, you could try the following remedies
· In case of bleeding, apply pressure to minimize blood flow
· Use a pack of ice on the swelling to minimize the swell
· Take a nonprescription pain reliever.
· If your case involves a fallen tooth, you could dip it in a glass of milk or between your gums and cheeks until you get to your dentist.
Do not fret when your dental care forces you to request your dentist’s attention immediately. Dental emergencies are common and with a personalized treatment option, you will be smiling again. Contact the dental experts for more inquiries or book your appointment online.