Everyone loves white sparkling teeth because they are good for a radiant smile and self-esteem. Maintaining these white teeth requires a commitment to high hygiene. There are however some people who naturally have yellow teeth but this is not a life sentence.
Teenagers and adults whose teeth are healthy qualify to be candidates for teeth whitening in Temecula. Like in any other disease, the prevention of tooth discoloration is better than struggling to correct a problem that could have been avoided in the first place.
- There some people who are born with yellow teeth due to genetic predisposition
- Taking diet which has a high sugar content
- Poor dental hygiene leads to the build-up of plaque and subsequent staining
- Trauma to the mouth can erode the tooth enamel and expose the yellow dentine
- Cigarette smoking or chewing tobacco
- Old age where the enamel starts to crack thus exposing the dentine which is yellow in color
- Coffee, soda, red wine, and dark berries can discolor teeth
- Medications like tetracycline, some antihistamines and antipsychotics stain teeth
- Having a dry mouth for a long time with reduced saliva
- Drinking water that has high fluoride levels or fluoride applications and supplements
- Diseases of the enamel and dentine
- Use of some dental materials like amalgam restorations
- Using abrasive toothpaste
There are some fruits that are reported to help in whitening discolored teeth like bananas, pineapples, and strawberries. Some people use home remedies like baking soda or activated charcoal and baking soda.
Dentists, however, advise against experimenting with home remedies because they are not standardized and therefore they may cause more harm than good. Teeth whitening procedures by dentists are safe and available in many centers.
Practicing good oral hygiene is very effective in the prevention of teeth staining. It is advisable to brush your teeth at least two times daily. Brushing teeth helps to remove accumulated plaque which stains teeth. Brushing should be done gently in a circular motion with a whitening toothpaste. You should not brush your teeth immediately after eating highly acidic foods to avoid tooth erosion.
Reduce the intake of drinks which cause tooth discoloration like coffee soda and red wine. You should brush your teeth after taking these drinks. Using a straw when drinking helps to limit contact of the drinks with the teeth.
Increase intake of foods that are rich in calcium like milk and cheese. Calcium strengthens the enamel thus preventing erosion of enamel and exposure of the underlying yellow dentine.
You should regularly eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Crunchy vegetables and fruits are reported to help in removing plaque between teeth during chewing. Fruits with high water content help to remove stains by cleaning the teeth. Fruits and vegetables help to strengthen the immune system thus helping to fight diseases.
Reduce sugar intake. Bacteria in the mouth feed on sugar, therefore, reducing sugar intake limits their survival. You should brush your teeth after eating sugary foods.
Regularly visit your dentists for tooth checkups and tooth cleaning.
Tooth discoloration can reduce self-esteem and therefore it is advisable to take care of your oral hygiene and avoid factors that predisposes you to tooth staining.