Your skin is the largest organ in your body and among the first features people notice. Everyone finds youthful, beautiful skin to be attractive. Signs of aging, like loose skin, may reduce your self-confidence and make you less assertive in social settings. Your Scarsdale neck lift expert, Robert M. Schwarcz, MD, can fix your beauty problem.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift is a surgical cosmetic procedure performed by a surgeon to reduce signs of aging in your neck and along your jaw area by tightening and removing excess skin and fat. You may consider having a platysmaplasty if:
· Your neck has excess skin
· There is a lot of fat in your neck
· You want to restore your indistinct jawline
· You have wrinkles on your neck that make you look older
Before undergoing the neck lift procedure, you will have an initial conversation with your doctor, Robert M. Schwarcz, MD. During the consultation, you will discuss the results you would like to achieve from the procedure, with the doctor determining if you are eligible for a neck lift by:
· Reviewing your medical history and checking your current medical condition
· Confirming any surgeries from the past
· Testing for any allergic reactions you may have
After the assessment, your surgeon will let you know about the risks associated with the surgical procedure, including:
· Fluid accumulating beneath your skin after surgery
· Experiencing tightness around your neck
· Facial aging being more distinct if you only have the neck lift procedure
· A neck lift does not stop aging, while your skin may sag again after some time.
· Skin abnormalities, e.g., mottling in the skin on your neck
· Temporary numbness in the incision area
· Deep Vein Thrombosis
Neck lift procedure
Before the neck lift procedure, your doctor will give you several preoperative instructions to facilitate a successful process and outcome. For example:
· You need to stop smoking at least six weeks before surgery
· Avoid using herbal medications, aspirin, and anti-inflammatory drugs since they may cause a lot of bleeding.
· Drink lots of water since it is vital for the recovery process.
· Ensure your bed at home is comfortable.
For the neck lift surgery, your cosmetic surgeon will administer local anesthesia or use intravenous sedation to cause numbness and prevent pain during the process.
To ensure you are safe, your doctor will use special monitors to check your pulse, blood pressure, and oxygen levels in your blood during surgery.
After your surgeon makes an incision under your chin and behind your ears, he will tighten the platysma muscle in your neck before trimming away extra skin and fat. The excess fat will then be repositioned prior to your surgeon suturing the incisions and connecting drains to the wound before dressing.
Post care instructions
After the surgery, your cosmetic surgeon may recommend you observe guidelines to speed-up the recovery process. Such guidelines may include:
· Keeping your head elevated by using two pillows to sleep at night
· Avoiding strenuous activities during the first week of recovery
· Not taking aspirin since it may cause excessive bleeding
· Turning your entire body and avoiding side-to-side head movements
· Cleaning the incision area twice a day by using hydrogen peroxide and a Q-tip to avoid infections
· Visiting your doctor in case of any abnormal swelling filled with fluid
· Taking prescribed painkillers to relieve pain
Be sure to schedule an appointment with your cosmetic surgeon, Robert M. Schwarcz, MD, to restore your youthful skin.