Dental damage, such as discoloration and misalignment, may make you shy away from exposing your teeth. This may lower your confidence and negatively affect your social life. You can, however, fix these imperfections by visiting Dr. Ernest Tchoi in New York City to improve your dental image using veneers.
What are veneers?
A dental veneer, also known as a tooth cap, is a thin custom-made shell used to cover the front part of your tooth. Veneers are commonly used to fix:
· Discolored teeth due to excess fluoride, stains from tetracycline, root canal treatment, or large resin fillings.
· Broken or chipped teeth.
· Teeth that are worn down.
· Spaces or gaps between your teeth.
· Uneven, irregular and misaligned teeth
Veneers can be made out of two different materials; porcelain and composite resin.
Advantages of veneers
There are several benefits of getting dental veneers, including:
· Veneers improve your tooth structure by fixing the size and shape of your teeth.
· Mending your teeth will boost your confidence around people.
· Dental veneers encourage good oral hygiene since you will be more careful to keep your tooth caps in good condition.
· Veneers provide a natural tooth appearance.
· Porcelain veneers are stain-resistant.
You will require three trips to your dentist for a consultation, preparation of veneers, and the installation process.
During the consultation, you will discuss with your dentist your desired outcome. Your doctor will examine your teeth to ensure that veneers are efficient for you by checking for dental problems such as tooth decay and unhealthy gums. Your dentist may inform you of some limitations of getting tooth caps that include:
· The process of installing veneers is irreversible.
· You may experience tooth sensitivity after the procedure.
· Pressure and trauma may cause veneers to break, chip or dislodge.
· You may still experience tooth decay with veneers.
· Dental veneers are not a good option if you clench or grind your teeth since this may cause the breaking of your tooth cap.
During the second visit, your dentist will scrape off a small amount of enamel from your tooth’s surface to provide room for veneers. Your dentist will make a model of your tooth and send it to the lab, where your permanent veneers will be fabricated. As you wait for your veneers, your doctor may send you home with temporary veneers. Permanent veneers may take a week to be ready.
Installation of dental veneers
During this process, your dentist will repeatedly place the veneer on your tooth to check for fit and color match. Your doctor may trim the tooth cap if necessary.
Your dentist will then clean, polish and etch your tooth. Etching provides a rough texture which allows strong bonding.
Your specialist will apply dental cement to the veneer and attach it to your tooth. After positioning the veneer, your doctor will use a beam of light to harden the cement. Finally, your dentist will get rid of extra adhesive on your teeth and may ask you to return after a few weeks for follow-up.
You do not have to be conscious about your teeth whenever you are around your friends. Reserve a session with your dentist at Manhattan Dental Design to get veneers and improve your smile.