IVF or as commonly known In-vitro Fertilization is a kind of fertility treatment where fertilization takes place outside the body. It’s advisable for people who have various fertility problems. The treatment is highly common and has a high success rate. Dr. Susan Wolf in Hasbrouck Heights explains that giving fertility hormones helps in stimulating the ovaries to produce more eggs. These eggs are collected then mixed with a males sperm in the lab. The process only takes place if suitable sperm quality is normal. A single sperm can be injected into that egg. This is done by an embryologist.
Once fertilization is successful, the specialists allow the development of the embryo for 2-6 days to help in selecting the strongest embryo before being transferred back to the womb of the woman.
In most cases, the embryologist creates several reliable embryos to increase the chances of twins or triplets although it’s a health risk. Frozen embryos can also be used.
The fertilization is very safe and most people don’t experience any problems with the pregnancy or health. However, there can be certain risks like a severe reaction to fertility drugs or having multiple pregnancies like twins or triplets. You can also have an ectopic pregnancy or possible birth defects although very rare.
To ensure the process is safe, the fertility doctor takes you through several tests and investigations in your initial appointment. This is not something the specialists take lightly. Take your time to ask questions and ensure you are healthy for the fertilization to avoid any risks or problems with your pregnancy.
You undergo a cycle of treatments including hormone treatment and suppressing your natural hormones, and egg collection before mixing the egg with the sperm. The duration depends on the treatment the fertility specialist recommends. The doctor advises you on the right treatment.
Just like other fertility treatments, the success of IVF largely depends on the cause of infertility and age. The chance of success is higher for women aged 37 years and below. However, for those using donor eggs, the success rate is higher and doesn’t depend on the woman’s age. In this case, the percentage of live births stands at 53.5 percent.
The percentage goes down if it involves frozen embryos. Donor eggs have the best success rate for older women than for women using their own eggs.
- Couples experiencing male fertility problems can opt for IVF as they have a higher chance of conceiving. Laboratory techniques offer reliable results.
- Couples experiencing unexplained infertility. There are people who remain undiagnosed even after investigation, and they too can benefit from IVF intervention.
- Those suffering from PCOS leading to hormone imbalance causing irregular menstrual cycles also experience success in IVF. They conceive through ovulation induction.
- Women with endometriosis can try IVF with huge success. It has proved very successful.
- Women suffering from premature ovarian failure can use donor eggs and IVF to conceive with a higher success rate.
- Women with blocked tubes or damaged Fallopian tubes have the best opportunity to conceive through IVF using their own eggs.
Consult the fertility doctors to learn more about the condition and to enjoy the joys of parenthood. Pregnancy is possible and your success rate is pretty good either-way.