Headaches can be a nuisance, and almost everyone complains about this kind of pain at some point in their lives. This makes it one of the common types of health problems. Apart from the discomfort, headaches can be associated with different conditions. Some of these conditions can be easily treated with over-the-counter drugs, while others need a doctor’s help. If you are yet to find help, there is hope. The specialist of headache in Dundalk at CHOICE Pain & Rehabilitation Center offers a solution to all types of headaches through a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment to relieve your pain.
What causes headaches?
When a headache hits you, it can be a bother, hindering you from conducting your daily duties and missed opportunities. Various factors are believed to be the leading causes of headache, and it varies from one person to another. They include:
· Strain in the specific part of the body such as brain, muscles, nerves, and the blood vessels
· Underlying medical conditions such as stroke, tumor, an infection, hypothyroidism, and pregnancy
· Overuse of pain relievers
· Tightness from headcovers such as caps or helmets
· Withdrawal from caffeine
· Lack of sleep
· Intake of food that contains monosodium glutamate
· Drinking alcohol
· Bright light
· Changes in hormone levels, especially in women, among other causes depending on the individual’s daily activities and health
When should I seek medical treatment for a headache?
When you experience persistent pain, it is crucial to seek medical help to customize a treatment for you or refer you to a specialist in case of a severe underlying condition. Visit the specialist when:
· You experience pain that makes you weak and dizzy, and loss of balance may make you fall
· You experience a headache that comes with a lack of concentration, seizures, or any other kind of abnormality
· Sudden loss of vision
· You experience a headache accompanied by fever and difficulty in breathing
· You have pain that prevents you from sleeping at night
· Headache that comes in whenever you cough, bend or when involved in a physical activity
· You have been experiencing headaches but noticed a change in the pattern
You can manage headaches, but if they become persistent, increasing, and comes in whenever you are involved in an activity, you should seek medical help.
How is a headache diagnosed?
When you visit your doctor for treatment, they will first diagnose to determine the headache’s cause. In doing this, your doctor may need to know your medical history and any current medications. The specialist may then ask you to describe your pain, location, intensity, and when it started. Your doctor may recommend further tests such as the MRI, CT scan, Spinal tap, blood tests, among other tests, to determine the severity of the condition. Once the specialist identifies the problem, appropriate treatment is customized to relieve the pain.
If you experience a severe headache that interferes with your daily activities and family life, you should seek a doctor’s help. A doctor’s visit ensures that the underlying problem is identified, treatment is offered, and future complications are prevented. Book an appointment and visit your doctor to explain your condition to get help and lead a quality life.